He is the Head Team Physician for the Seattle Seahawks and has been a Team Orthopedic Surgeon since 1996. He has been the Medical Director and Team Orthopedic Surgeon for the Seattle Mariners since 2006.
Dr. Khalfayan is one of two physicians in the US who is a Head Team Physician for both an NFL and MLB team.
He is a Clinical Instructor at the University of Washington School of Medicine and is an editorial reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine.
Dr. Khalfayan has been named a Top Doctor by Castle Connolly Medical LTD., an honor given to the top 5% of physicians in the country. He is a highly regarded orthopedic surgeon in the pacific northwest and treats patients not only from Washington, but also from other areas such as Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, and Canada.
Dr. Khalfayan completed his undergraduate education at Boston College and received his medical degree from Saint Louis University School of Medicine. He went on to complete subspecialty fellowship training in Orthopedic Sports Medicine at The Graduate Hospital/University of Philadelphia. This was with Dr. Vincent DiStefano, M.D., Team Physician with the Philadelphia Eagles and with Dr. John Gregg, M.D., Team Physician with the Philadelphia Flyers.
Dr. Khalfayan served in the US Navy as a medical officer with tours of duty at Naval Regional Medical Center, Oakland California; aboard the USS McKee where he was medical department head; Naval Station Long Beach California as Squadron Medical Officer for Surface Squadron 1, a squadron of fourteen ships; and as an Orthopedic Surgeon at Naval Hospital, Camp Pendleton. Dr. Khalfayan also deployed with the First Marine Force to Somalia for Operation Restore Hope.
Dr. Khalfayan has written articles and completed studies on Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. He has authored a chapter on Knee Injuries in Baseball. Dr Khalfayan has lectured on and has been a laboratory instructor teaching Orthopedic Surgeons techniques in Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery. Currently, he has active staff privileges at Seattle Surgery Center and Swedish Medical Center.
Sports Medicine is a specialty within Orthopedic Surgery that Dr. Khalfayan is passionate about. He feels that Sports Medicine involves the operative and nonoperative treatment and rehabilitation of the athlete including coordination with the athlete’s coaching and athletic training staff. His combined 22 years of experience in professional sports with the Seahawks and the Mariners in addition to experience with high school, college, and other professional athletes provides him with unique skills and knowledge that he uses in his private practice.
Dr. Khalfayan has successfully returned many professional athletes to play after surgeries such as arthroscopic labral repair (Arthroscopic Bankart Reconstruction and Arthroscopic SLAP Repair), arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, arthroscopic ACL reconstruction, arthroscopic meniscus surgery, medial collateral ligament repair, Tommy John Surgery and achilles repair. Although he treats many athletes at all levels, he also cares for many patients in his practice who are not athletes.
Dr. Khalfayan is board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, American Society of Orthopedic Sports Medicine, NFL Team Physician Society, MLB Team Physician Association, Washington State Orthopedic Association, Washington State Medical Association, and King County Medical Society.
Dr. Khalfayan's practice focuses on:
- Knee injuries including:
- Anterior and posterior cruciate ligament tears
- Medial and lateral collateral ligament sprains
- Meniscus tears
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Patellar and quadriceps tendon injuries
- Articular (joint surface) cartilage injuries
- Patellar Dislocations
- Shoulder injuries including:
- Labral tears
- Rotator cuff tears
- Biceps tendon injuries
- Instability (Dislocations and Subluxations)
- Elbow injuries including:
- Ulnar collateral ligament tears
- Tendonitis or tendon tears
- Osteochondritis dissecans
- Ulnar nerve compression (cubital tunnel syndrome)
- Other injuries such as:
- Achilles tendon ruptures
- Ankle sprains
- Osteochondral lesion of the talus
- Ankle Fractures
- Hamstring strains or tears
Procedures Dr. Khalfayan performs include:
- Arthroscopic ACL Reconstruction and Revision ACL Reconstruction
- PCL Reconstruction
- MCL and Posterolateral Corner Repair or Reconstruction
- Arthroscopic Meniscus Repair or Meniscectomy
- Arthroscopic Microfracture and OATS
- Quadriceps and Patellar Tendon Repair
- Patellar Instability Repair and Reconstruction
- Hamstring Tendon Repair
- Arthroscopic Labral Repair
- Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair
- Arthroscopic Biceps Tenodesis
- Arthroscopic Acromioplasty
- Arthroscopic Distal Clavicle Excision
- Open Shoulder Reconstruction
- Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction (Tommy John Surgery)
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Ulnar Nerve Transposition
- Biceps/Triceps Tendon Repair
- Ankle Arthroscopy
- Achilles Tendon Repair
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections